Learn About CBD Labeling –
the market, the requirements, and the solutions
The CBD industry is a rapidly growing market with constant regulation changes. While the industry continues to evolve, one thing is clear: cannabis is here to stay, and we can expect to see more legalization, consolidation, research, and product offerings.
If you’re hoping to capitalize on the CBD market, here’s what you need to know:
What is CBD? CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a chemical compound from the cannabis plant. It’s a naturally occurring substance used in products like oils and edibles to impart feelings of relaxation and calmness. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), it is not psychoactive.
Benefits of CBD: Help assuage everyday aches and pains, help treat severe medical conditions, relief from various mental health conditions, consumers can take it without any unwanted or hallucinogenic side effects, can be produced legally and widely sold without contradicting federal law.
CBD Products: Products include oils, topical creams and lotions, beverages, gummies, terpenes, capsules, tea, coffee, syrups, pet products, and more.
CBD Labeling Requirements
For starters, every state that authorizes the sale of CBD products also mandates the labels of CBD products sold within their borders be labeled in accordance with the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FDCA).
Following the FDA regulations for cosmetic product labeling, CBD-infused health, and beauty product labels should:
- Avoid false or misleading claims
- Provide the required information (includes identity statement, statement of the quantity of contents, name, and place of business, distributor statement, material facts, warning or caution statements, and ingredients)
- Properly & legibly display label information
- Not violate the Poison Prevention Packaging Act of 1970
At the time of publication, the FDA doesn’t currently allow the sale of CBD products intended for ingestion, and labeling requirements differ state-by-state. While some states permit the sale of CBD in foods and dietary supplements, they require specific label information and warning requirements. For a more comprehensive understanding, visit this list compiled by the FDA – list of the 26 most common questions about cannabis products and their regulations.
It’s also worth noting, a growing number of states are mandating the inclusion of a scannable bar code, QR code link, or web address linked to a document containing the above-outlined information. Ensuring compliance with the laws of each individual state where CBD products are sold can be a challenge, yet it’s a crucial step in mitigating the risks of enforcement action by federal and state agencies. For more specific information pertaining to the FDA guidelines surrounding CBD labeling, read more here.
CBD Labeling Solutions
In this evolving industry, AstroNova offers state-of-the-art solutions to help you increase profits and market share. Constant regulation changes in the industry mean facing constant labeling changes. Having labeling solutions in-house and readily available offers a solution for all your on-demand labeling needs, allowing for flexibility in product changes, releases, and limited edition revamps. Additionally, AstroNova’s QuickLabel and TrojanLabel brands offer the only label printers on the market capable of printing labels as narrow as the industry requires, ultimately providing less waste and reduced cost for customers.
Some of the best labeling solutions expertly engineered to benefit the CBD Market:
TrojanLabel T2-C Label Press – Ideal for those requiring higher volume output
- High print speed up to 12 inches per second (60 ft per minute)
- Superior print resolution up to 1600 dpi
- Print width 2” to 8.8″
- First tabletop press to operate at high-volume capacity and precision of a digital press
QuickLabel QL-120X Label Printer – Perfect for narrow applications & color-matching with white-based materials
- Fast print speed up to 12 inches per second (60 ft per minute)
- Superior print resolution up to 1200 dpi
- Print width 0.5” to 4.2”
- Industry-best performance
- Excellent reliability
QuickLabel QL-300 Label Printer – Solution for dynamic, colorful branding and special effects
- Print in White (CMYK+W), allowing you to expand your branding opportunities
- Print speed up to 6 inches per second (30 ft per minute)
- Exceptional print resolution up to 1200 dpi
- Print width 0.83” to 4.95″
- High-resolution output with low toner consumption
- Durable labels that withstand abrasion, moisture, and UV exposure
QuickLabel QL-60M Label Printer – Single Color Application Solution
- Print speed up to 5.9 inches per second
- Prints smaller labels at a 4 mm x 3 mm minimum printable area
- High accuracy and fast print speeds
- Ideal for producing durable images for linear and 2D barcode printing, overprinting, and surfaces exposed to extreme conditions
When it comes to CBD, it’s essential to have label materials explicitly suited for this industry. Luckily, AstroNova’s GetLabels division has the widest variety of material options. Whether you’re looking for materials that are narrow, eye-catching, glossy, matte, extremely durable, resistant to oils, or are made with materials such as hemp or grass paper, GetLabels has you covered. GetLabels understands that in a competitive industry, it’s not only essential to ensure your materials fit your needs, but it’s equally important to personalize your products and stand out on the shelves. We have Media Specialists equipped to offer you a consultative approach, or browse our online materials finder and find the material that fits your needs.
Questions? Let us know, we’re here to help!
At AstroNova, we offer a total labeling solution. We provide the tools you need to integrate production efficiencies into your business and keep up with industry demands from a wide variety of label printers, materials, technical support, training, and a library of support videos. Contact us to schedule a free, web-based demonstration and to speak with one of our specialists!